Stoke Row C.E. Primary School is located next to the Church on the main street in Stoke Row. Having small classes, it has a very friendly atmosphere. It maintains close links with the village and is supported by the Church, the Sports Associations and individuals from the village.
Following the erection of St. John the Evangelist in 1846, the Church of England School was founded in 1853 for manufacturing families, with residence for a school Master or Mistress. The first person in charge of Stoke Row Church of England School was William Crews who, with his wife, were registered as “Parochial Schoolmaster and Mistress” in 1853. Reg Seymor was the first pupil from Stoke Row School to get a scholarship to Henley Grammar School, in 1929. In its rich history the school has evolved over the years and made journeys in its quest for better teaching and learning, as well as changes architecturally.
We have now embarked on a new exciting stage of our development working with another local school, Checkendon C.E. (A) Primary School, with whom we share an Executive Headteacher. This collaboration has strengthened the school giving the children additional opportunities and enabling them to make friendships outside of our own school before they move onto secondary school. Both schools maintain their own clear identities with their own teaching staff and each has an Assistant Headteacher responsible for Curriculum.
The symbol of Stoke Row’s proud heritage was an ideal choice for our School Logo!
This unusual Well, erected under a gold domed roof, was a gift to the people of Stoke Row in 1863 from the wealthy Maharajah of Benares. People travelled far on foot, horseback and with carts to see, let alone use, this amazing structure. Even today, it is a truly magnificent sight for visitors to Stoke Row because of its beauty, history and rarity. Set in pretty gardens it is open to visitors at all times.
We feel privileged to be able to call and use this beautiful architectural symbol as our Logo!